The Antholite of 1951, the yearbook of Detroit St. Anthony High School is now on line. The images can be found here, or by clicking the link which can be found on the left column of the Detroit Catholic School Heritage Project website-www.bishopgallagher.org .
The parish, on Detroit's east side was established in 1857.
The high school, located at the corner of Sheridan Street and Farnsworth Street, first opened in 1918, and reached a peak enrollment of 1040 in 1927.
Sadly, declining enrollment led to the closure of St. Anthony high school in the late 1960s, but the building was immediately re-opened as the site of East Catholic High School, a merger of several parish high schools in the area.
East Catholic enjoyed a great run from 1969 to 2005, when it closed. Sadly, the building fell victim to vandals and scavengers and was demolished in 2012. St. Anthony parish itself closed in 2006, but In 2010, St. Anthony reopened with a new congregation that was separate from the Roman Catholic Church. The name St. Anthony has been retained.
Some images from the 1951 yearbook:
Confession line in the pre-chapel veil (doily) era.
Graduation-note Knights of Columbus in full regalia at the front of church.
Athletics: Girls Basketball, and
The cover page of the 1951 St. Anthony Antholite yearbook included this Detroit 250th anniversary crest.